We connected with Miss Land’s class in Mentor, Ohio. This was their first Skype and our second of the year. This was a special Skype in many ways. It was their first one and it was a chance to surprise Mr. Seliskar’s niece. Mr. Seliskar grew up in Mentor and his niece is in 4th grade there. He connected with Miss Land via Twitter to get the classes involved in the fun of a Mystery Skype and to surprise his niece. It was a fun time for both classes. They learned about California and us about Ohio. They were intrigued that classrooms in California walk right out to the outside due to the warm climate.
It was a great time and a nice surprise for Mr. Seliskar’s niece. Below is the video from the Skype.
O-H-I-O! from your friends in California!
Here are some of the questions we asked:
- Are you east (west) of the Mississippi River?
- Does your state border the Atlantic (Pacific or Gulf of Mexico) Ocean?
- Are you in the __ time zone? (Can add Eastern, Central, Mountain, or Pacific)
- Is your state in the __ region? (Can add Northeast, Southeast, Southwest, Middle West, or West)
- Is your state one of the original 13 colonies?
- Does your state border another country?
- Does your state border more than ___ states? (Fill in a number)
- Does your state have a coastline?
- Does the ____ River flow through your state?
- Does your state’s name have two words in it?
- What is your weather like now?
- What kind of climate do you have?
- Do you experience any extreme weather?
- Do you live in an urban, suburban or rural area?
- What crops are grown in your location?
- What are some animals that you might see in the wild in your area?
- What are some famous places, tourist attractions or events from your location?
- Are there any famous people who were born in the state or country that you are from?
- What is your state or country have a nickname?
- Do you border any bodies of water? If so, please name it.
- What part of the world are you located in? What Hemisphere?
- Name one state or country that borders you.